CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, February 15, 2010

Week #81 - Valentine-less

Hey Everyone!

It's been a great week in Sonoma. I hope everyone had a delightful Valentine's Day full of candies and awesome. Mine would not have been nearly as fantastic if I hadn't gotten a visit from the UPS man...who was kind enough to give me a bunch of delicious Mrs. Fields cookies. What a nice guy!

And, though I had no Valentine, I was at least assured that I was very loved by our vehicle coordinator. She has provided me with a brand new 2010 Chevy Colorado, which is MUCH nicer than the one I previously drove.

Speaking of trucks, however, I had an interesting experience with our old truck last week. We were out knocking doors, and for some reason I was getting way more irritated than usual with everyone's responses. It was hitting me especially hard how rude or childish all of these grown men and women felt they needed to be to us, especially when the majority claim to be Christian. It was really nothing out of the ordinary, and I still don't know why I was getting so upset, but we got to the last door. I knocked, the fifty year old lady came to the window (without opening the door) and said "Can I help you?" I start to say who we are/what we're doing, and she cuts me off: "BYE!" I was furious. I said "Thanks for your time- God Bless" however I'm not sure how pleasant or kind that one sounded. In fact, I'm pretty sure you couldn't hear much love in my tone of voice at all.

We walked back to the truck without saying anything, and I tried to turn it on. It wouldn't start. I tried again, still wouldn't. We had about ten minutes to get to dinner, so I decided we should say a prayer that it would. We did, tried again, still would not. I sat there for a second and started to feel a bit of peace, and knew that I just needed to read the scriptures. I told my companion that the car would start in time for dinner, but I was just going to read a little bit. I opened the Book of Mormon to the story of Sherem and Jacob. I read the chapter and just felt completely calmed down. Sherem was trying to tell Jacob (despite Jacob's undeniable witness) that everything he believed and taught was stupid, unreasonable and worthless. Jacob, however, knew that it was true. Sherem cause him to question himself or the worth of the Lord's work. Jacob knew what he knew, and the moral of the story is Jacob is a stud. So anyway, for some reason that chapter made me feel much better. I closed the book, turned the key, and the truck turned on. Heavenly Father must've noticed I could use a little breather as well as some humbling.

We picked up some really good new investigators this week and we now have a third member of the companionship.

Anyway, stuff's good aside from me rarely getting mail. I'd like to give a shoutout to my broseph Jonny. You my boy, J- Dawg. You my boy.

Much Love,
Elder B